Saturday 18 July 2015

Dates #20 and #21

A lesson in instant chemistry:  sometimes it is surface-deep.

He met me one sunny afternoon - I watched him from the open window of the cafe as he walked towards me.  It literally sizzled between us.  He was quick to catch my hand and my stomach was all butterflies as he made eyes at me - making me blush furiously  That first date ended up with a short walk on a long beach, his arms around me, stopping to kiss me and literally making my head spin.  Within weeks however, though the chemistry never cooled off too much - we had nothing to really talk about.  He was a P.E. Teacher from England and though neither of those things were a problem for me per se, the only interests he had that I knew about was that he liked to go to the gym and sip Berocca from a pump bottle.  He wasn't terribly interested in me as a person (asked very little about myself), and we seemed to have little in common.  The attraction seemed purely physical.  Within a few dates I knew it would not deepen between us so I moved on.

My next date the chemistry was also off the charts, but this time we talked a great deal - he dated me for a wee while, taking me to dinner, to lunch, for coffee, to the movies... but in between times, his communication with me was sporadic and the dates became fewer and the time in between lengthier, till one fateful evening when he looked into my eyes over a glass of wine - he told me that the distance between us was simply too much.  There was just a 30 minute ferry trip and a gulf of water that separated us geographically, but this appeared to be too much for him.  I was disappointed because he ticked so many of my boxes (chemistry, intelligence, attraction), but philosophical because by the time it ended the amount of times I'd seen him had trickled to a virtual stop.


No comments:

Post a Comment